Wednesday, November 09, 2011

SONKA Fall Meeting

The Fall Meeting of the Southwest Ohio Northern Kentucky Association of the Ohio Conference of the United Church of Christ was held this past Saturday, November 5, in Newport, Kentucky. The meeting was an intentional attempt to tell the story of the hunger missions and ministries of our local congregations, in conjunction with the national UCC Mission 1 initiative. It was a tremendous celebration, which included a slide show story of some of Shiloh's hunger ministries.

Most rewarding personally was that this meeting marked the end of my term as Moderator of the Association. In a three-year commitment, I served as Vice Moderator in 2010. The Vice Moderator is in charge of planning the two annual Association meetings and for filling in for the Moderator in the case of her/his absence. Then, this year, I served as Moderator. The Moderator is chairperson of the Association Covenant Team, like the Church Council, is an official signatory on all contracts, checks and official business of the Association, is called upon to represent the Association in a host of ways, and presides over the Association meetings. Now, starting just after the Association meeting, I serve as chair of the Association's Nominating Team. All this is done while still working with the Association Communication Team and continuing as Senior Pastor of Shiloh Church.

My appreciation goes out to the fabulous Association staff, mainly the Association Minister, Ruth Brandon. Ruth manages the business of the Association with care and attention to detail. She is gracious and kind, even while attempting to motivate persons in expanding the scope of ministry and service. I thank the staff at Shiloh Church, whose incredible work frees me to be engaged in the ministries of the wider church. Thanks mainly to Jay McMillen, who has filled in for the Senior Pastor when I was called upon by the demands of the Association and beyond.

It is sometimes difficult for local congregations to measure the advantage of allowing their pastoral staff members to be leaders in the wider church. Often, there is a disconnect between what happens in our churches and that which takes place in our Associations and Conferences. Narrowing the gap between local congregations and the judicatory level of church organization was a particular focus under my leadership. As happens in congregations, it is sometimes a challenge to help people see that what takes place in the wider church is OUR ministry, not theirs.

This focus will remain well after I serve as Moderator. I am also chairing an Association task force that is charged with assessing, shaping and implementing an organizational formula for the Association that better relates to the mission and ministry of our local churches. The process will include geographical hearings and the same kind of reporting, which are geared at more direct involvement of local church members.

I have treasured my time in leadership with the Association. The people I have met, and those with whom I was honored to work, taught me a depth of commitment and devotion that I will long remember. The talents, skills and dedication of colleagues and friends throughout the Association will inspire me through many years to come. Thanks to each and every one of you.   

No comments: