Monday, November 05, 2012

For Whom to Vote

Our home telephone has been inundated the past few weeks with robo-calls, live appeals and personal requests that ask that we vote for one candidate for another. Perhaps out of curiosity, or maybe the political process has worn me down to the point of helplessness, I actually took a few moments the other day to be part of one of the "polls." The questions were about the state of the economy, and how I feel as an Ohio citizen. I answered as best I could. At the end of the poll, the live questioner asked, "So, does that mean that you will be voting for (candidate X) on Tuesday?"
 
"Ummm, no," I said. "I will be voting for (candidate Y)." The caller proceeded to argue with my decision, even though all the answers that I provided were consistent and logical. She continued to try to convince me to support her candidate, even though I had been clear that I would not. Finally, even more deeply irritated by the current political process and tone of this campaign, I hung up.
 
If I were to believe everything that attack ads have claimed about candidates in this election, I would not vote for any of them. The process has become ridiculous and revolting. It insults our intelligence and attacks the personhood of those who are willing to run. It is disgusting. It is embarrassing.
 
Unfortunately, it is the only process that we have available to us. Therefore, I try to rise above the muck and determine for whom to vote. I have decided.
 
Let me help you decide for whom to vote.
 
If you know what a candidate stands for, and if you believe in what that candidate claims, then vote for her or him. If you think that what a person offers is best for whatever level of government that person is running for, then vote for that persons. Be clear, however. Do not be manipulated by the empty, meaningless drone of the media or the vitriol of opposing parties or special interests. Do not concern yourself with what a candidate is not or does not, that she or he failed to do this or that, that a candidate lacks qualities that have absolutely nothing to do with public service, or that he "no longer beats his spouse, tortures kittens, or steals from the church offering plate."
 
Rise above it. Learn that for which a candidate stands. Vote exclusively on that standard. Then, after the election, work with whomever is elected to form a more perfect union. Work side by side with those who voted for the other candidate. Join, hand in hand, to fix the problems that we face as communities, states and a nation. Repair the damage done by the election and campaign process. Let the purpose of shaping a great nation, great states, and great communities override the partisanship and biases that have victimized us all.
 
Vote. Then work with whomever is elected. God's kingdom is available to those who rise above it in order to bring God's will to the process of being a people.
 
See You Sunday! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice, ... thanks for this thoughtful post. And, I too have already voted. Couldn't agree with you more.