Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sandy Hook

Last Friday, the nation was stunned by yet another senseless act of mass violence, this time at an Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. A 20 year-old gunman, wearing a bullet proof vest and brandishing at least three weapons - one an automatic assault rifle - and bearing literally hundreds of rounds of ammunition, broke a glass door and began a rampage that left 26 dead. The young man obviously intended even more death, but was stopped by those who were first on the devastating scene. In a final act of cowardice, Adam Lanza took his own life.
 
It is now Tuesday of the following week. My disbelief and sorrow has turned to anger. Perhaps unfairly, I am outraged.
 
I am angry at Adam Lanza. He looked innocent children in the face and shot them repeatedly with ammunition that was intended to do maximum damage. He shot some as many as eleven times. He chose these days, approaching Christmas, to engage is unspeakable and intolerable violence. He killed administrators and teachers who sacrificed their own lives to protect the children who had been entrusted to their care.
 
I understand that Adam Lanza suffered from some emotional and mental defect. I understand that he was psychologically damaged. My anger at him may be unfair. It may be better placed with those who allowed him to function, untreated, as a part of society. But Mr. Lanza armed himself intentionally. He put on a kevlar vest to protect himself. Instead of facing the ramifications of his acts, Adam Lanza, as authorities approached, took his own life. He make conscious decisions. He made plans. He intended destruction and devastation. His acts infuriate me.
 
I am angry, too, at his mother, Nancy Lanza. By all accounts, she was a gun enthusiast, who wanted to protect herself and her family. Mrs. Lanza did not act responsibly with her weapons, however. She made it possible that her troubled son might have access to them. ( In a majority of the events of mass-killings, perpetrators used weapons that were either registered to others or purchased illegally.) Mrs. Lanza failed to protect the public from her exercise of individual rights. To do so in unconscionable.
 
I am angry with those who have made the incident about gun control, arguing on both sides of the political debate. I am even angrier with those who have claimed that the event arose out of lack of prayer in public schools. Nothing is more ridiculous! I am even angry with the President, who said, during his address, that "God has called these children home." What? You have got to be kidding me! God did not call these children home. They were killed by a madman. This was an evil event. God did not allow it as part of some divine plan, and the God I know simply grieves with us, is present to us, and remains with us, even in these devastating times.
 
I know that there are other steps in the process of grieving. Right now, I am just angry. Adam Lanza has affected us all this Christmas season. Maybe God can bring my anger to praise. Perhaps God can overcome in me the tendency to blame. Maybe God can help me find some peace.
 
See You Sunday! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stay angry! Don't lose that edge too soon ... not before we begin figuring some of this out and what to do. ... Again, please Carl ... stay angry!!!