Monday, March 04, 2013

Installation

A friend and colleague invited me to preach at his installation service this past weekend. On Friday, Lisa, my wife, and I traveled to Evansville, Indiana, where we had served a congregation before coming to Dayton, Ohio in 2000. On Saturday, I had some discussion with some of the church staff members and leaders. On Sunday, I delivered the message at my friend's installation.
 
Several things arise from the experience. As a rule, I do not attend installation services. I find the liturgy pedantic and tedious. I find the robing of clergy an arrogant example of what is wrong with trying to help laypersons embrace their own empowerment, when there is clearly a division for those who are "called to ministry." As a rule, I find the entire process a painful reminder of precisely that which younger generations find to be stuffy and repugnant about church life.
 
I do not know if others feel this way, but lack of clergy support and low attendance at this past weekend's installation service seem to indicate that there is something here that is not functioning. There were very few clergy colleagues in attendance. There was little wider church support, outside of those who had an official role in the ceremonies. Clergy robed...or most of them did. Despite the fact that they were "set apart," there was scant involvement.
 
The congregation was only partially in attendance. Clearly, this was not a pivotal event in the life of the congregation. Despite the fact that it was the installation of the congregation's newly called Pastor, people from the congregation were simply not present. One might assume that such a pivotal event in the life of the church might be marked with wide involvement of those for whom the installation is taking place. Scant support from clergy colleagues and low congregational attendance indicate that there is something lacking in the process of installing UCC Pastors.
 
The service was a good one. Several people provided excellent charges. The music was plentiful and well thought out as part of the service. The Installed Pastor provided a very warm and engaging benediction. There was just no energy. There was no excitement. Persons under the age of 40 would have been bored and easily distracted. I imagine persons in any but the present age category, which may have averaged somewhere in the 60's or 70's, noting to not again attend a service of installation.
 
How can we breathe some excitement into the process of clergy installation? How can we make it less about the establishment and maintenance of a "clergy class" and more about the congregational calling and empowerment? How can we draw congregation members and clergy colleagues to be present, even if they are not directly involved?
 
These issues are, I think, rather important in how the church understands what it is doing, how it sees itself, and how it embodies the ministry and mission of Jesus Christ. It will certainly cause me to rethink installation services, and how they might be occasions for congregational joy and celebration.
 
What do you think?
 
 
 
   
 
 

1 comment:

Bill Landefeld said...

Carl-
I read your blog with interest and it brought to mind the recent retirement of the Pope Benidict and the current process of selection by the cardinals. It seems to me the catholics are plenty excited but I cannot speak for their youth. I listen often to the "Catholic Channel" on XM radio and particularly enjoy the show "Seize the Day" with host Gus Lloyd. It has a certain energy that starts my day as I ride to work. Just a though.