Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Shiloh Insider" Facebook post

Many of the readers of The Shiloh Insider have noticed that there are no comments on the blog. There is a reason for that, actually, one that few would assume. The restriction on comments has nothing to do with disagreement or the caustic nature of some comments. It has nothing to do with topics of sincere discussion and/or argument. I appreciate such discourse.

On the contrary, the restriction of comment on The Shiloh Insider is the direct result of advertising bots that place, often inappropriate, advertisement, disguised as comment, on the blog. There have been ads from everything to erectile dysfunction and sexually oriented material to skin treatments and hemorrhoid ointments. Despite changing my username and password numerous times, these ads became so numerous and disruptive that removing them was becoming a daily tedium.

Therefore, I disabled the comment function of The Shiloh Insider.

Lately, however, several persons have mentioned to me the desire to discuss issues and comments made through The Shiloh Insider. While the title may suggest that the blog deals exclusively with information that is exclusive to Shiloh Church UCC, the content quite often deals with theological and cultural information that applies to wider Church life. My colleagues often read The Shiloh Insider.  In fact, the blog has readers in Sweden and Scotland, in Mexico and the Philippines, from around the country, and right here in Dayton. It is a public site that many in my UD classes read. Often, people want to comment on the issues and arguments raised.

I am therefore considering the creation of a Facebook page that would invite discussion of the topics raised in and through The Shiloh Insider. I believe that I can provide a weekly link from Facebook to The Shiloh Insider. Contributions to the blog would be available to potential readers through Facebook, as well as through the Shiloh UCC website, www.shiloh.org. I am posting the idea on the Shiloh Facebook page, attempting to determine if there is enough interest for me to go to the trouble of the weekly effort. If you are interested, look for the post on the Shiloh Facebook page, and let me know.

I look forward to the discussion.

No comments: