Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving

I have been taking stock and inventory recently of those things that I seem to take for granted. These are little things for which I could demonstrate thankfulness, but often do not. Maybe I am too busy. Maybe I just don't see them for as important a factor in my life as I could. Maybe I have just grown lazy in my capacity for appreciation.

No matter. This week, since it is Thanksgiving, I take a moment to pause and give thanks for those unstated blessings in my life:

I am thankful for my family. My wife and daughter form a constant support network that allows me to do the ministry to which I am called. Lisa, my wife, has shared thirty years of my life, longer now than I experienced life without her before we were married in 1986. Casey, our daughter, has been a continual source of joy and amusement, even sometimes when she has not intended to be. We were also fortunate to add to our family a new son-in-law, Justin. She and Justin were married in July. It has been a pleasure to include him. I am also thankful that my mother is still living and that I have brothers and their families. I give thanks for my family.

I am thankful for the congregation that I serve. Shiloh is a unique place to "live the word by serving the world." Where else can a pastor see four huge mission activities at the same time? Shiloh just completed a food collection, that consisted of more than 100 bags of food, to be distributed between two local food banks. The congregation is also involved in its 14th annual provision of an ark for Heifer Project International. The cost of each ark is $5,000. Shiloh will also be distributing the $10,000 that was made from its annual golf outing to needy families for the holidays. We will assist nearly 100 families in celebrating a brighter Christmas. Shiloh is also collecting hats, mittens, scarves and other winter gear for Valerie School through its "Mitten Tree." This is being accomplished in the midst of Christmas Musical, Christmas parties, decorations, worship, Bible study and everything else that Shiloh does. I give thanks for Shiloh Church.

I am thankful for my calling. Even though clergy types like to gather and complain about the difficulty of the calling to which we have been called, there is significant meaning and purpose to the career that others may not see. One cannot express adequately the joy of seeing the spark of epiphany in persons at worship or in Bible study. It is impossible to communicate the meaning behind a person who had grown up in a congregation that one has served who claims that those years were foundational to life and faith. One cannot celebrate enough the opportunity to express God's love and grace amongst a community that respects and supports it. I give thanks for my calling.

I am thankful that I live in Dayton. Sure, the community has its challenges. That simply means that the opportunities here for meaningful ministry and important service are plentiful. Shiloh has been an arena in which the community can address issues of proper health care, economic opportunities, racial divisions, life-choice discrimination, ageism, sexism and a host of other important social and religious issues. I appreciate the fact that those conversations are taking place. Many communities shy away from discussion of important issues. Dayton has been bold in approaching the problems that lie in contemporary culture. Could we do more? Certainly. But I am thankful for the bright, energetic, creative people of Dayton, Ohio. At least we try.

Most of all, though, I am thankful that I live in a nation at a time when cultural evolution is compelling us toward unity, despite diversity, and acceptance of every person, despite differences among us. I am thankful that we are free to express, examine, accept or reject the open vistas that lie before us. Some around the world are not so fortunate. We are blessed to dream, to imagine, to strive for something better, other, alternative. We are not satisfied with the way things are because we can imagine a better way. We can see a brighter day. We can dare to dream about another configuration and more functional systems. And we can work for fulfillment of a vision that promises a day when humanity shares, cares, loves and works for the benefit of every person. I give thanks that the day about which we dream is just around the corner. Maybe it comes tomorrow.

Have a great Thanksgiving! Be thankful!    

No comments: