Monday, January 30, 2012

"No Guns = No Money"

Yesterday, Sunday January 29, just before the 10:30 service of worship, I was handed a business card. It came from a member of the congregation, one who is actively involved in the life of the church. The card has made me rather sad, and I want to share it with you.

In bold white letters, in a large font, across the bottom, against a stark red background, read these words: "No Guns = No Money" On the right side of the card was the now-familiar "no guns" sign that we have seen posted at public buildings throughout our communities. Printed from the left side of the card, the bulk of its message read: "Your 'no gun' sign prevents me from patronizing your business. So I, my family, and other gun owners will spend our money with your competitors." Then it read: "Look on the back to see why you should remove your sign," with an arrow that directed me to reverse the card.

On the reverse, the card bore a symbol from Buckeye Firearms Foundation, with an email address: www.BuckeyeFirearms.org The reverse side of the card read, "Your 'no gun' sign is bad for business. It does nothing to make you safer. It simply tells criminals you're an easy target and drives away good customers with a concealed carry license."

It continued, "Unlike most people, license holders have passed a criminal background check. Statistics show we are far more law-abiding than the general public. Our numbers are growing every day. We are ideal customers and will patronize your business if you let us. Remove your sign and I, my family, and many other gun owners will gladly return."

Really?

I am incredulous!

You want the Church of Jesus Christ to allow you to carry weapons to worship and public activities? You want the Church to condone the presence of guns? You are willing to practice blatant extortion to bring about your political ends? And you want churches and pastors to capitulate?

I know nothing whatsoever about the Buckeye Firearms Foundation. I am disgusted by their practices, however. I do know about the mission and ministry of Jesus Christ. I can tell you with every confidence that firearms have no place in worship, ministry or mission that bears Christ's name. His ministry is about peace and love and compassion. His mission is the extension of grace. Worship in his name must take place without the threat of violence or coercion.

In my opinion, firearms have no place in the Church. The matter is theological. It is about the integrity of the Church. If we dare to bear the name of Christ Jesus, then we simply cannot allow the presence of firearms. If that means that you take your "business" elsewhere, so be it.

The Church is a place of God's empowerment. It is the training ground for ministries of peace and harmony. It is about education in the mission fields of God's grace and love. No guns. No way. If the Church gives in to this kind of pressure, then it isn't the Church at all.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say how loudly I "endorse" this message. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

One response so far. Wow, is there no sanctuary in life? Can we please have one insistent domain that is absolutely opposed to weapons?
Dear God let it start with the church and spread the idea of peace.


Randy