Monday, November 25, 2013

Thankfulness

This being the week of Thanksgiving, I hope for every reader of the Shiloh Insider an exciting, restful time with family and friends. Lisa, my wife of more than 27 years, and I will share brunch with our adult daughter, Casey, and her fiance, Justin. Afterward, we will be doing Christmas decorations, watching football and cooking together an intimate Thanksgiving meal for two. We appreciate the invitations that we have received to share the afternoon with good friends and family, but we treasure the times that we can take as a couple.

I thought that this Thanksgiving was a good opportunity to lift up some people, or groups of people, for whom I am particularly thankful this year. These are the Top Ten Folk of Thanks, 2013:

10. I am thankful for my good friends, who allow me to be myself without confusion of title or position or expectation. It is nice to be with those who love you unconditionally.

9. I appreciate the fabulous Shiloh Church staff. It is rare that persons genuinely like and appreciate those with whom they work. You are as much my friends a church staff.

8. I love my extended family, on both my side and my wife's side of the aisle. You are a constant source of humor, fun and support.

7. I have come to treasure my Association family. The people of SONKA have been a constant source of renewal and excitement. Even while I grumble about wider church responsibilities, I love the opportunities.

6. I sincerely marvel at the ministry and leadership of Kathryn Anadein, SONKA's designated Association Minister, who is guiding us creatively and boldly into an uncertain future. Thank you, Kathryn!

5. I give thanks for the satanic physical therapist, Whitney, who forced me into more pain than I thought possible, but who, in doing so, has given me much greater mobility.

4. I give thanks to the medical community who strive everyday to provide excellent care to persons, having to cope with insurance companies, patient avoidance, and the money that, unfortunately, determines who does and who does not receive the care that they need.

3. I appreciate the members and friends of Shiloh Church. You refuse to be an audience to faith. You are the actors, playing on a stage that desperately needs to see the face of grace in Christ.

2. I thank God for our daughter, Casey, and her partner in crime, Justin. Your lives together have begun marvelously. Thanks for the wisdom with which you make decisions and the responsible manner in which you have conducted yourselves.

And the number one person for whom I am thankful this season is...wait for it....drumroll...

1. My incredible wife, Lisa, whose hard work and dedication make it a joy to share what is now the majority of my life on this good Earth. Your personality and sense of humor is a constant source of happiness. Thanks for spending your life with me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: