Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Crap Happens...But Jesus Comes

It has been one of THOSE weeks. While the workweek schedule is pretty well managed, with Bible studies and Bible @ Boston's being set, with the Christmas Musical on Sunday (10:30 and 7:00), it could not be a busier time. I have begun to shop for Christmas. We have arranged for the staff Christmas party. Decorations are up, the house and tree are lit. I was feeling quite prepared for the season.

Then...

Then...during 10:25 worship service on Sunday morning, the main sewer drain decided to back up into Shiloh's facility.

As many know, the facility sewer drainage is divided into two main trunks, one that drains from the northern side of the building and the other that runs from the east end of the Christian education wing. It was the north trunk that was effected. Some may surmise that the lowest point on the north side of the facility is actually my office. In my office bathroom, there is a cleanout that leads to the main trunk line.

That cleanout was the major source of sewer water backing up into the facility, via my bathroom and office. The carpet and laminent flooring were destroyed. Some of the furnishings were in need of serious cleaning, as some sat in sewer water for at least a few hours.

Jay McMillen led a small crew of volunteers on Sunday afternoon to remove the worst of the sodden carpet, bleaching the floors, and cleaning up the mess. Thanks to Dawn McMillen, Terry Neff and Lisa Neff for helping out. There may have been others involved, and I appreciate your efforts as well.

On Monday, we tore out the remainder of the carpet. Today (Wednesday), we will remove the flooring and clean out my office (no small feat, by the way). The insurance adjuster came this morning. This afternoon and tomorrow, we will be transporting my office furnishings, books, and assorted decor,  to the Large Conference Room. New carpet is scheduled to be installed on Monday.Of course, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week will likely be spent in moving back into my office space.

It is not fun work, especially for persons, like me, who are allergic to mold. It could be worse, however. Things are being removed, repaired and handled. The carpet is being replaced (and partially donated), and the smell of bleach is diminishing. Ministry will go on. Our mission will continue.

What's a little sewer water to the ongoing kingdom ministry of Jesus Christ? The momentary annoyance of human waste floating in my office, and settling in my carpeting, is overcome with the purpose for which we gather as a community of faith, especially this season.

So, crap happens. But Jesus still comes. (Perhaps a new bumper sticker craze...)

Have a good week!

1 comment:

Patti Mohr said...

Carl,

I always enjoy and am inspired by your blogs. When something like this happen to me, I try to remind myself that it's just stuff, and it can be replaced or fixed. (Though the "stuff" that backed up into your office was unusually unpleasant.) It's the irreplaceable stuff like family, relationships, faith, etc. that is really important. I'm bringing some of my youth and some parents to the 7:00 Christmas program this Sunday. It's always a highlight in my Christmas season. It is, however, a little sad that Alex and Emily won't be performing in the band.

May your Christmas season be blessed,
Patti Mohr