Monday, December 16, 2013

Nine Shopping Days...

What? There are just nine shopping days left until Christmas? How in the world did this happen?

I have not bought a single gift.

We decorated the house, inside and out, on Thanksgiving day. Despite the fact that our back fence lights work only intermittently, and although we rarely turn on all the inside decorations, we had a good start to the Christmas season. We had chosen a design theme for the tree and each room (a necessity that I had never paid attention to before marrying and having a daughter). Matching wrapping paper was bought and lies at the ready, one design specified for each of the core persons in the family. Christmas lists were written and distributed (except mine, of course, because I can't think of anything that I really need). Everything was going so well!

I was sidetracked by writing the Bible @ Boston's curriculum and assisting in preparations for Shiloh's annual Christmas musical, by planning worship and organizing the annual staff Christmas party. Did I mention that I had an office under an inch or so of sewer backup?

Okay. Honestly, I have no excuse. I could have gone shopping and gotten the gifts that I know that I am getting the people in my life. I have procrastinated. I have spent too much time idly enjoying the season, soaking in the holiday spirit.

Time to pull the proverbial trigger and get to the stores. But the weather... I have so much to do... I have so many places to be and so much to plan... I hate shopping.

In the Children's Time in yesterday's 10:25 service, Jay McMillen told the children that the gifts that we purchase or make for others share the joy of the season. They share the good news of Christ's coming.

Okay, I am resolved to get it done today! I want to share the joy of Christmas with those to whom I am closest. Now, just how does and automobile auto-start represent the birth of Jesus?

See You Sunday!
Remember that Christmas Eve service begins with a concert at 7:00 p.m. and a candlelight ceremony at 7:30. Plan to join us!  

No comments: